As with many natural history photographers, nature has always been an important part of my life. This is partially due to growing up in Weymouth, Dorset where I was lucky enough to be surrounded by fantastic Jurassic coastlines as well as being in easy reach of RSPB and Wildlife Trust Nature reserves. However on the last day of primary school I moved to a town that couldn’t be further from the seaside home I had always known – the most boring town in the world – Haywards Heath.
But my love for nature never left me and in my desperation for entertainment I began finding it in the most unusual places. During secondary school I knew that foxes and jays roamed the local graveyard, that sparrowhawks hunted over the town and that every summer my walk home through the council estate would be accompanied by the screams of soaring swifts. So why didn’t other people notice these things too? This was when I decided to save up for a camera and show them what I could see.
Since I made that decision my focus has been to become a natural history communicator through mostly visual but also written means. I spent three years studying Marine & Natural History photography at Falmouth University developing my photography in both practise and theory. I graduated in 2015 with a first class degree before jetting off to Borneo for a 10 day Rapid Assessment Visual Expedition. With no immediate urge to leave the coast again Falmouth is my current home where I continue to create natural history imagery and develop my ideas.
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016 – Shortlisted
- Guest Speaker at the National Moth Recorders Meeting – Jan 2016
- Photographer & Workshop leader for AFON Birds of Poole Harbour Project – Feb 2016
- RSPB contributor, Loch of Strathbeg reserve Leaflet – Mar 2015
- Photographer & Social Media Manager, Borneo RAVE – Sep 2015 – Present
- EcoSoc Committee Member & Bird Rep – Sep 2012 – 2015
- Image of the Issue, Biosphere Magazine – Sep 2014
- Image used in Horse & Hound Magazine – Sep 2014
- Runner for Nature’s Boldest Thieves, Finestripe Productions – Summer 2014
- Photographer & filmmaker, Tremough BioBlitz 2014
- Official Photographer, Birds in the Marine Environment Conference April 2014
- Guest Speaker, Cornwall Wildlife Trust photo group – Dec 2013
- Nocturnal Moths photo story, Life Nature Magazine – Oct 2013
- Photographer, filmaker & Media Team co-ordinator, Tremough BioBlitz – 2013
- Cairngorms Expedition – March 2013
- Light Lines Photography Exhibition, Trebah Gardens – Feb-Mar 2013